Summary of Position
Our Pipe Fitter/Welder will work closely with project managers and superintendents to layout, fabricate, assemble, and install heating hot water, chilled water piping systems. You will use your industry knowledge, welding skills, and experience with hand tools to work with steel, copper (brazed and solder), and PVC pipe. You will perform activities listed below as well as any other duties that may be required by the position.
- Minimum of ten years commercial/ industrial pipe fitting/welding required. Must have experience welding for six of those ten years.
- Able to pass pre-employment welding test and demonstrate knowledge with SMAW. Must know how to work with different types of flux and filler materials.
- High school diploma, GED, or diploma equivalent required.
- Able to make mathematical calculations needed to measure rolling offsets, cutback of fittings, and takeouts between welds and other fits.
- Able to competently use a variety of gauges, meters, measuring instruments, hand and power tools and equipment.
- Able to read and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, and specifications.
- Able to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle (as evidenced by past driving performance record) and to adhere to all company safety requirements.
- Maintain on-going required continued education, professional licenses, and/or certifications as required by the position
- Stable work history showing responsibility and professional growth.
- Able to effectively communicate with peers, supervisors and the customer.
- Willing to work alone or on a team.
- Able to provide your own set of hand tools.
- Able to stand, walk, talk, see with 20/20 vision (naturally or corrected), hear within normal range, and perform repetitive motion activities.
- Able to maintain precision and concentration during physically demanding tasks. Includes ability to:
- Tolerate extreme environmental conditions (with use of personal protective equipment) including: extreme heat, cold, noise, vibration, fumes, dusts, poor ventilation, gases, and oils.
- Independently lift and carry objects with weights ranging from 20 to 80 pounds.
- Climb and maintain balance on ladders, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, etc.
- Able to work skillfully with both hands throughout the day including: twist, finger, grasp, and feel equipment and materials.
- May be exposed to wet slippery floors, objects on floor, and various chemicals and sharp objects.
- Able to work 8 hours per day on surfaces that may be dirt, carpet, concrete, wood, tile, and/or vinyl
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with project managers and superintendent to plan piping systems layout according to plans and specifications for commercial and industrial projects.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures, and fixtures using brackets, clamps, tools, and welding equipment.
- Inspect work sites for obstructions and potential structural problems that may occur during rough-in.
- Test all installed piping systems using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, etc.
- Cut, thread, and weld pipe according to plans and specifications. Must have skills needed to make exact measurements and cuts in pipe.
- Lay out, measure and cut material according to drawings or templates, using hand-tools and computerized metalworking equipment where appropriate.
- Maneuver finished units into position for installation and anchor the units.
- Transport prefabricated parts to construction sites for assembly and installation.