Summary of Position:
Our Journeyman Sheet Metal Technician will work closely with our Service and Construction Departments to fabricate, assemble, and install sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, plenums, hoods, and flashings. You will set up and operate fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shape metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer; operate soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts; assemble duct joints into sections; and install prefabricated sheet metal ducts used for heating, air conditioning, or other purposes. You will perform activities listed below as well as any other duties that may be required by the position.
- 4 years sheet metal experience required.
- High school diploma, GED, or diploma equivalent required.
- Able to solder and weld joints as needed. Welding certifications preferred but not required.
- Able to competently use a variety of gauges, meters, measuring instruments, hand and power tools and equipment.
- Able to read and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, and specifications.
- Able to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle (as evidenced by past driving performance record) and to adhere to all company safety requirements.
- Maintains on-going required continued education, professional licenses and/or certifications as required by the position.
- Stable work history showing responsibility and professional growth.
- Able to effectively communicate with peers, supervisors and the customer.
- Able to provide your own set of hand tools.
- Able to stand, walk, talk, see with 20/20 vision (naturally or corrected), hear within normal range, and perform repetitive motion activities.
- Able to maintain precision and concentration during physically demanding tasks. Includes ability to:
- Tolerate extreme environmental conditions (with use of personal protective equipment) including: extreme heat, cold, noise, vibration, fumes, dusts, poor ventilation, gases, and oils.
- Independently lift and carry objects with weights ranging from 20 to 80 pounds.
- Climb and maintain balance on ladders, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, etc.
- Able to work skillfully with both hands throughout the day including: twist, finger, grasp, and feel equipment and materials.
- May be exposed to wet slippery floors, objects on floor, and various chemicals and sharp objects.
- Able to work 8 hours per day on surfaces that may be dirt, carpet, concrete, wood, tile, and/or vinyl.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Fabricate ducts for high efficiency heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems.
- Install assemblies, such as flashing, pipes, tubes, heating and air conditioning ducts. Alter parts as needed at construction sites using shears, hammers, punches, or drills.
- Ensure that individual parts, assemblies, and installations used conform to specifications and building codes.
- Fasten seams or joints together with welds, bolts, rivets, solder, or metal drive clips to assemble components into finished products.
- Drill and punch holes in metal, for screws, bolts, and rivets. Shape metal material over anvils, blocks, or other forms, using hand tools.
- Lay out, measure and cut material according to drawings or templates, using hand-tools and computerized metalworking equipment where appropriate.
- Maneuver finished units into position for installation and anchor the units.
- Maintain, repair, and modify equipment in the Sheet Metal shop.
- Convert blueprints into shop drawings to be followed in the prefabrications of sheet metal products.
- Inspect installed heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to determine their compliance with building codes and green certification standards.
- Transport prefabricated parts to construction sites for assembly and installation.
- Train and supervise new employees or apprentices.