Summary of Position
Our Apprentice Plumber will work closely with our Service and Construction Departments to perform installation of new plumbing equipment on existing buildings and structures both commercial and institutional. You will assist our journeyman plumbers to diagnose, repair, maintain, and install complex commercial plumbing systems/ equipment all in accordance with the Texas Plumbing code. You will work with various types of tools, gauges, measuring equipment under guidance from project managers and superintendents. You will perform the activities listed below as well as any other duties that may be required by the position.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- No previous plumbing work experience required. One or more years of plumbing work experience preferred.
- High school diploma, GED, or diploma equivalent required.
- Possession of Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners Apprentice card preferred but not required.
- Current enrollment/completion of apprenticeship program preferred.
- Experience diagnosing, repairing, installing, and maintaining small to large commercial plumbing systems/equipment.
- Familiarity using a variety of gauges, meters, measuring instruments, hand and power tools and equipment.
- Familiarity with reading blueprints, schematic drawings, and specifications.
- Able to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle (as evidenced by past driving performance record) and to adhere to all company safety requirements.
- Participate in on-going required continued education and acquire professional licenses and/or certifications as required by the position.
- Stable work history showing responsibility and professional growth.
- Able to effectively communicate with peers, supervisors, and customers.
- Able to stand, walk, talk, see with 20/20 vision (naturally or corrected), hear within normal range, and perform repetitive motion activities.
- Able to maintain precision and concentration during physically demanding tasks. Includes ability to:
- Tolerate extreme environmental conditions (while using personal protective equipment) including: extreme heat, cold, noise, vibration, fumes, dusts, poor ventilation, gases, and oils.
- Independently lift and carry objects with weights ranging from 20 to 80 pounds.
- Climb and maintain balance on ladders, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, etc.
- Able to work skillfully with both hands throughout the day including: twist, finger, grasp, and feel equipment and materials.
- May be exposed to wet slippery floors, objects on floor, and various chemicals and sharp objects.
- Able to work 8 hours per day on surfaces that may be dirt, carpet, concrete, wood, tile, and/or vinyl.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Assist Journeyman plumber with his/her daily responsibilities.
- Install, repair, and maintain distribution lines in buildings systems including but not limited to: domestic hot and cold water systems, gas piping, reverse osmosis systems, laboratory acid waste systems, kitchen equipment, sewer lines, and sanitary systems.
- Disassemble and reassemble medium commercial or residential plumbing equipment to perform trouble shooting and preventative maintenance.
- Operate hand tools, power tools, gauges and measuring equipment to perform service to the equipment and/or mechanical system. Example: Cut and thread pipe using power saw and threading machine.
- Learn how to diagnose plumbing system performance through observation, testing and setup.
- Works well independently, under pressure and without close supervision in order to identify customer needs and provide solutions.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Willing and able to consistently work the schedule required by job demands.
- Complete work orders, task lists and documents to verify work performed as needed to conform to customer invoicing requirements.
- Operates a commercial vehicle and trailer.
- Orders materials through our purchasing department manager.
- Reconciles work order documents, vendor packing slips and weekly timesheets for supervisor review.